Hi! This blog is basically dedicated to Indie music, consisting of reviews and random thoughts that come up. Take a look around, listen to some tunes on the Last.fm widget on the sidebar, and maybe expand a few musical horizons.

Last Played Tracks

14 September 2008

shit

I don't know how long since I last updated this, I really should do it more often.

First we'll talk about the new music. I got quite a bit of post-punk stuff like Joy Division, She Wants Revenge, and the rest of the Interpol album. I've also hung out with Allan often, and he's always got the same mix on, but it's so fucking good and chill, so I basically got the CD and listened to it, especially Santeria by Sublime. I've also listened to some really nice shoegaze in the form of Asobi Seksu, which is pretty different from My Bloody Valentine because the vocals are warmer and more emotional, while there isn't a sonic atmosphere surrounding you.


I've also been putting together lots of playlists and smart playlists on itunes. One of the reasons I like itunes is the ability to put together smart playlists and normal playlists, and being able to "stack" playlists by including them in other playlists which update automatically. Anyways I've put together some mood playlists, which can come in handy in different situations, such as chill music when you're studying.


Which leads me to the next topic: software. itunes recently revamped itself in a fresh new format and included a feature called "Genius". I haven't used it that much but it's supposed to get better over time and put together playlists for you to listen to. I tried it out and it seems to work pretty well, though a few strange songs were included. itunes also has superior auto-organization abilities, which other players seem to lack for some reason. However, I read today that using itunes in Windows will decrease the audio quality you hear because itunes is meant primarily for Macs, and hardware differences cause the problems. Also, itunes doesn't support my mp3 player, which is annoying, so I decided to try out some new players.

First I used WMP, but it didn't recognize a lot of my tags and even turned a lot of them into foreign languages, which was pretty fucked up, so I asked Drew what he recommended. He told me about Winamp and Foobar, which he said was highly customizable, which intrigued me so I decided to try it. It was a bit hard to use at first (as are most things), but the key to avoid being old is the ability to adapt, so I kept at it and learned how the things worked. It turns out that it is indeed very versatile, and I'm looking forward to using it more, and I do particularly enjoy higher sound quality.

Also if you really want good quality get a pair of hi-fi headphones, the bulky ones that look slightly ridiculous, but the quality and bass is so much better that I am all for it, and I sometimes stuff them in my backpack and walk around campus with giant headphones in my pack.

No comments:

No Clean Feed