Hi! This blog is basically dedicated to Indie music, consisting of reviews and random thoughts that come up. Take a look around, listen to some tunes on the Last.fm widget on the sidebar, and maybe expand a few musical horizons.

Last Played Tracks

06 June 2008

more thoughts

I remembered something else. What a fucking surprise right?
Anyways. Calvin told me that my musical tastes were pretentious once, so I've been evaluating myself a bit since then. Yes, I may br a bit pretentious about music, but that's mainly because mainstream music does, in fact, suck. A lot. The umbrella song comes to mind. A perfect example of bad music.

But there's a difference between differentiating between music and differentiating between "indie" and "mainstream". A lot of people are really just into the indie scene and care less about the music, so they can act cool and show off to friends. For me I think it's the other way around. Yes, I may still be a music snob, but I enjoy the music and that's pretty much what I care about. It's not so much about the scene. There are people who walk around decked out like scenesters who couldn't tell you the first thing about the music they supposedly listen to, and I think the trend is growing among middle schoolers, cause there have definitely been more kids like that around Chiles.

So what I'm saying is, if you want to be indie, fine, but make sure you actually listen to the music. And you actually like it. Don't go around waving the Garden State soundtrack if you're just trying to get laid. Haha I think this is making me sound more pretentious. Now I'm distinguishing between real and fake indie.

I think I'll write a how-to guide for spotting fakers. They dress pretty badly (bad, the mechanism which allows you to...) , they listen to REALLY generic indie/emo stuff, and they can't actually name an album past the most recently popular one. They also name-drop like crazy and act snobbishly because people don't recognize a band. Whereas people who actually like the music encourage others to listen to it. They also do not always follow the current trend, instead exploring based on suggestions from friends and musical quality.

k just thought some things should be cleared up.

No comments:

No Clean Feed